Catholic Metanarrative

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Metanarrative: One Year After

It has been 12 months since I first experimented on the idea to do a blog on theological-philosophical matters. I started this blog exactly on May 1, the feast of St. Joseph the Worker. As an employee myself in a company, I found it very hard to live a contemplative spirit without having some sort of a guide. I am very fortunate that I have attended some doctrinal-religious activities since college and this has helped keep a good perspective on the world, at least my own world.

For the past year, although it was my desire to be able to write something original, I thought eventually that I shouldn't make any attempts (at this stage, at least) to "reinvent the wheel". There are so many materials out there that are both rich and exciting in developing one's Catholic faith. Most of the material come from a news agency (Zenit) based in Rome. I have subscribed to this free service for years now and although I do not read each and every article, I do read those articles of interest.

Perhaps the most widely read section would be the "Liturgy" article every Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila). Before the 4nov80 blog was born, I took it upon myself to copy-paste (with some necessary aesthestic editing) the article every week and send to people via email. It has evoked a wide range of responses from the recipients, but overall, it was a welcome refresher from a hard day's work.

Later, I eventually realized that the "Liturgy" articles are not enough. I tried looking for other stuff, first from Zenit and then from other sites like the Catholic Educators' Resource Center (CERC). They provided some balance to the blog without losing sight of the objective to educate the readers in the domain of Catholic theology and philosophy.

I am not an expert in these matters. It's only an interest that I've taken up since 3 years ago. I'm a big fan of the late Pope John Paul II, but it doesn't mean that I don't give the same level of reverence of the present Pope Benedict XVI. However, I have noticed that people nowadays are less interested in the emotive stuff in expressing one's faith. They're really looking for something to nourish their faith from an intellectual standpoint.

What should you expect for the second year of 4nov80?

First thing, I'm in dire need of people to provide me with materials other than Zenit or CERC. In fact, I'm planning to talk to some of my priest friends to help contribute one or two articles each month on various issues, most especially those affecting the family. Please pray that we will be able to get more and more articles from other sources.

Second, I'll make an attempt to write an article every month. It's no guarantee, but at least I want to give this blog a voice, instead of being another site with cross-references of sorts.

Lastly, I'll think of something to make this blog engaging. Contests with prizes are not far-fetched, but I do intend to continue some of the customs I've done since my college days like organizing a book drive or visiting the sick and less fortunate in a select hospital. This blog will serve as some sort of bulletin for these events.

I would like to dedicate the second year of 4nov80 to its main patrons, St. Joseph and Our Lady, and to its very powerful intercessor, St. Catherine of Siena, whose feast we'll celebrate this Sat (Apr 29).

Our Mother, St. Joseph, St. Catherine, please pray for us who benefit from this blog greatly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home